February 1, 2023 – Water is a priority for Utah’s state legislature.
Among the priorities cited by St. George News reported on a January 30 press conference, state lawmakers are focusing on several issues and approaches, including:
- Better conservation and management of the Great Salt Lake through a central agency;
- Increased water efficiency and conservation programs;
- A water reuse and recycling program in Washington County involving wastewater treatment;
- Water recharge;
- Continued turf removal using the Water Efficient Landscape Rebate program;
- Cloud seeding; and
- Potential desalination, including sources such as output from the Pah Tempe hot springs.
“It’s not lost on anyone that Utah is not just the fastest growing state in the country but also the second driest state in the Country,” House Speaker Brad Wilson said during the press conference. “Because of that, there is little room for error in terms of how we manage our water resources.”